Allium sightings have been reported at farmers market all across the U.S. Those fresh bulbs of garlic, leeks, ramps, shallots, green onions and chives are at their peak this time of year, and these cancer fighting gems add depth and flavor to any dish. What are you waiting for? There’s never been a better time to adopt an allium.
Month: April 2015
Today’s Healthy Dose – Redefine Your Movement
When you call it exercise, it may feel like something you have to do. When you call it “time for myself”, you’re correctly defining your choice to move as a way to pamper and take care of your temple. Namaste.
Today’s Healthy Dose – A Liebster Award!
Something a little different today. Fellow blogger Frank Ravitch, author of The Accidental Samuri, has very kindly nominated A Healthy Dose for the Liebster Award. This recognition is awarded to bloggers, by other bloggers, with the intent of acknowledging blogs they enjoy. It also helps those following my blog learn a little more about me. And, ultimately, I get to recognize other blogs that I enjoy by passing the award along.
Below are my answers to the questions Frank posed to me…
- What is your dream for the future? I dream that someday fast food joints will be filled with sustainably farmed, organic, whole foods.
- Do you want to live in a different country? If so, where is it and why? I love living in the U.S. but I think I would enjoy living in a Latin American country, as I really enjoy the music, the abundance of fresh foods, and the laid back lifestyle.
- What kind of food do you like? My favorite food is any type of potato dish. It just is not possible to have too many potatoes or to have them too often.
- Have you ever traveled? If so, where have you been? I have been fortunate to travel to several states within the U.S. as well as to Mexico, The Caribbean, South America and Europe. But I would love to visit Japan someday.
- What is your favorite season? And Why? I’m a big fan of all four seasons, but I’d say my favorite is Fall. I love the crisp air, the smell of wood burning in the fireplace, the change of the leaves, and the anticipation of holidays approaching.
- Do you cook? If so, what is/are your best dish/es? I love to cook! My favorite is a recipe passed down by my grandmother for Bacon, Potato and Dumpling Soup.
- If you get 1-month-vacation, what will you do? I love the beach. Any beach. My favorite thing to do at the beach is to relax, read a good book, sit in the sun, enjoy a cold beverage, people watch, breathe in the ocean air, and decompress. Just hearing the ocean brings my blood pressure down instantly. I could easily do that for a month.
- What is/are the most important thing/s for your life? Family. The most important thing, period.
- What makes you smile recently? My teenage boys. They are a joy, and often amusing to behold.
- Do you like reading? If so, What book do you recommend? I love to read. My favorite author is Janet Evanovich. She is hilarious!
But, enough about me! If you enjoy historical fiction be sure to check out Frank’s blog, theaccidentalsamuri.com. Below is a list of some of the blogs that I enjoy following and will be nominating for Liebster Awards….
- A Venturing Girl
- Crafty Coin
- Kale Studios
- Lady In Transition
- The Sustainabilitist
- This Little Diary
- Wholesome Food For Thought
Cheers to your health! Lane
Today’s Healthy Dose – Dance In Your Kitchen
Who says doing the dishes has to be boring? Put on some upbeat tunes and see where the suds take you…
Today’s Healthy Dose – Meditation
It doesn’t have to be all perfect stillness and wind chimes. You are unique. Find your own solace and revel in it for a few minutes each day. Your chi will thank you.
Today’s Healthy Dose – DIY Micro Greens
They sprout in 3 days. They’re ready to use in a week. They are nutrient champs. You can add them to anything (think smoothies, soups, salads). And you can grow them in a sunny window all year long. What’s not to love?
Today’s Healthy Dose – Got a Text…
…from the parking lot. It wants to know why you’re still parking in the closest spot?
Today’s Healthy Dose – Good News and Bad News
The good news is that with advancements in science and medicine, more people are living longer than ever before. The bad news is that with advancements in science and medicine, more people are living longer than ever before. With your current habits around food, movement and thought, what do your 90’s look like to you? Is it good news, or bad news?
Today’s Healthy Dose – Nutrient A-Peel
Fruits and veggies tend to have high concentrations of nutrients in their skin. Hence the vibrant display of color on their outerwear. In the US we tend to peel everything, wasting part of the produce and throwing valuable vitamins and minerals out with the trash. Next time you take the peeler out of that kitchen drawer, stop to think…can I leave the skin on?
Here are some appealing powerhouses that I don’t peel (provided they’re organic):
- Sweet Potatoes
- Radishes (bet you saw that coming)
Today’s Healthy Dose – Give Me More
It’s that time again. If you have time to read this message, you have time to stand up and give me 20 more wall push ups. Ready, set, go! (Yes, now) (No, not later, now) (Enough with the excuses, do it now!)